Cauliflower Welsh Rarebit with Tomatoes
Bringing a bit of Wales to you. Toasted bread topped with a savoury cheddar cheese sauce, this Welsh dish oozes tradition. Wales’ take on how to turn cheese on toast into something special…We couldn’t get enough!
1 whole medium cauliflower
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 tsp paprika powder
Small pinch sea salt
Big pinch black pepper For the cheese sauce:
3 tbsp plain flour
40g butter 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
30oml Milk 50g grated cheese (strong cheddar cheese + parmigiano reggiano cheese)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (‘mushroom ketchup’ would be the vegetarian option of this ingredient) + extra for finishing
Sea salt Black pepper
Recipe by @real.foodie
1. Pre-heat oven to gas 5. Slice the cauliflower into 4 thick pieces and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle over the olive oil and rub in the salt, pepper and paprika. Cook for 50mins-1hr, until lightly golden and cooked through. Flip each cauliflower slice halfway through cooking.
2. After the Cauliflower has been in the oven for 20 mins, pop a tray of cherry tomatoes, ideally still on the vine into the oven (6-8 tomatoes per person). These will roast for the reminder of the cauliflower cooking time.
3. Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by adding the flour, butter and olive oil to a saucepan. Melt and cook out the flour for 1 min stirring continuously with a fork. Add 250ml of the milk in 2-3 goes, continuing to stir with a fork. Let the mixture thicken before you add a little more milk. This process should take 2-3mins. Then add the cheese and the remainder of the milk, little by little and stir until the cheese has melted and you have a smooth, thick sauce. Add the seasoning, taste and adjust as needed.
4. You should now have all the components: cooked roast cauliflower slices, cherry tomatoes and a cheese sauce. To finish, spoon a little of the cheese sauce onto a plate and add the cauliflower slices. Spoon some more sauce over the top of each cauliflower slice. Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce over the top and place under a grill for 5mins until golden.
5. Serve with the tomatoes and a few sprigs of fresh thyme and a nice glass of velvety [yellow tail] Cabernet Sauvignon.